Saturday, November 15, 2008

Peggy Noonan, I think I have mentioned her here before, writes a regular opinion piece for the Wall Street Journal. She was also a speech writer for Ronald Reagan and has authored some books. I attempt to read her articles regularly because she is one of the best wordsmiths and consistently shows uncommon insight, a twist from the normal reactions and observations.

Her new book, "Patriotic Grace", I recommend. It is a small book, a political book, but don't let the politics put you off. It is mostly an American book. Give it a read and hear in your head what just the right words put in just the right order sound like. Thoughtful. Cogent.
-----

Leslie suggested a list edition to this blog. Maybe a restaurant list.

If I were going out to eat tonight, which I am not, these are the places I would go in order from first to fifth choice.

1. Baja Grill. Don't know if it is a chain. Sort of don't think so. Great fish tacos that I am craving.

2. Babe's. Fried chicken on a Saturday night with corn, mashed potatoes, salad, bread. If you don't like this, then I don't understand you.

3. Red Lobster. It is an old favorite. When Leslie and I were first married and living in College Station, if we really wanted to eat nice, and it was payday and we had some money, we would head to Red Lobster. Sometimes we would eat before pay day but close enough to pay day so that the check wouldn't clear before we got paid. Each would get a salad, share an entree. By the way, they have great bread, and I think it is sort of a secret. Those days were good days. When you had to share and eating at Red Lobster was considered the nicest place possible that we could eat. We didn't know that there were other places nicer than that. By the way, this is Saturday, but the best eating out night, I think, is Thursday.

4. Taco Diner. Part of the "Mi Cocina Family of Restaurants." Only one I know is in in Southlake. I order something called "Bistec."

5. I can't think of five.
----------

Mooresville, North Carolina. Who are you?

2 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

My favorite place to eat in Keller/Ft. Worth is MILLERS PLACE. Best grilled chicken shish kabob in the south!

Order the banana pudding for dessert.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know #5 --- La Taq!!!
On cold, rainy days I still have to mention to Dale what a great place it was!

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home