Friday, April 20, 2007

The day.

This morning I welcomed Friday. Some Fridays are more anticipated than others. For different reasons.

Two events were on my agenda today that I was anticpating with some enjoyment.

A little history. Occasionally as a principal, I am requested to testify in court in certain types of cases involving family disputes. It has been very rare while at my current job, but there was an occasion a year ago. Then, I witnessed a judge who possessed what I thought was a wonderful mix of mercy and justice. At the time, I thought that it would be a good idea for some of our students to see her in action but also the see the result of relationships gone bad.

Today, really at the behest of one of our teachers, our seniors visited her courtroom. It was a sad and enlightening display of pain in marriage and in homes. Of bad choices. Of consequences that don't go away. Of consequences that reach beyond those directly involved.

The second event was more pleasant. For a couple of years now I, along with others, have been asked to read a book to an elementary class. Today, I read to two classes one of which was my daughter's fourth grade class. With staring eyes, they watched intently and listened to what was a great story. They were disappointed when I came to my stopping point, and honestly, I was disappointed, too. Disappointed because my time of reading was done and because I did not know how the story would end. The title of the book was "Dear Napoleon, I know you are dead, but..." by someone with the first name of Elvira. The last name might have been Woodruff.

On a totally different note. Peggy Noonan writes regularly for the Wall Street Journal. Her latest is worth your read. You might consider adding her to your regular reading digestion.