Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The best business to be in come fall is the school business.

Amidst many lists of people's favorites about fall, I offer my own abbreviated version by theme, all having to do with school.

When I get out of my car in our driveway in the early evening, in the distance, I hear the faint pounding of drums and blowing of horns as a nearby high school's band practices.

New notebooks. And pens.

School supply lists for Erin and Jeb. Yes, Caleb has a list, too, but he's thirteen and doesn't care about it. Erin is enthralled. Jeb cares because he wants his folders to have Spiderman or some other super hero on them.

By the way, we purchased a t-shirt tonight for Jeb's birthday on the 14th. On it are these words, "I do all of my own stunts." Perfect.

Students showing up at school before the start for volleyball practice, football two-a-days, and cheerleader sign painting. The kids are all bigger, more grown up, and the boys are sporting long hair for just a little longer.

Boxes filling the foyer of the school all filled with new things.

High school football previews in the city newspaper.

-----

Today is Leslie's birthday. She is thirty-ten. We have had a wonderful day.

-----

The Bourne Ultimatum.

-----

Gigi Mason - Thanks for the letter.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog!!! Glad she liked the letter and you all had a great day!

We are going swimming today at 2 different pools -- just because we can!

Love,
Gigi

6:29 AM  
Blogger The Uptons said...

Happy birthday to Leslie--we sang happy birthday to her yesterday with Maxwell, but never got around to calling (and we didn't know if you guys were back in town).

So when do we get invited to join the Miller family for a vacation? Maybe if we name our next born after you guys (we're still not giving you Maxwell, Leslie--although I've been tempted to send him away this week!), we'll be invited!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Joyce B. said...

Did I tell you about the kid (about Jeb's age) that I saw at the airport with a shirt on that said, "I am probably not listening to you." Classic, as is the one you ordered.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home