Thursday, July 26, 2007

Corn syrup, corn meal, corn starch, cereals with corn, corn itself, popcon, ethanol. That is our list of uses of- corn. On the Sandhills Scenic Byway and for many more miles elsewhere, fields of corn. More than I would have imagined had I been asked previous to the trip to imagine the most corn I could.

One interesting tidbit. Gasoline, in some spots in Nebraska, was cheaper for the mid-level grade than for the cheapo regular unleaded because the premium, mid-grade, had 10% ethanol. Obviously trying to increase the demand for ethanol/corn in children of the corn country. Naming the Nebraska football team "cornhuskers" is no longer a mystery to me. And, by the way, this trip was the first time in years I bought anything other than the cheapest gasoline.

Through with our travel of the byway in the town of Alliance, we ate at an Arby's before heading north through Chadron and into the Black Hills through a torrential wind/rain storm pulling into the Rodeway Inn in Rapid City, South Dakota, at about 7:30ish. Sustenance was at a Perkin's Family Restaurant across the road from the Rodeway, and Sonic not 50 yards down the road.

Now, I am tired since it is 9:15 and we just arrived home in Keller from this trip that I am telling about. We started home this morning at 8:34 from the Motel 6 in North Platte, Nebraska.

Tomorrow, I will share our Black Hills stops.

When was the last time you saw a "Weigh Station" on the highway that was open?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home