Thursday, July 12, 2007

Taco Bell.

It has been my experience that this eatery is the worst at getting an order incorrect. It matters not whether one is dining in or going through the drive-thru.

I don't believe it is the fault of the food technicians. The counter associates. The food handlers. It is the fault of Taco Bell, Inc.

Here's why. They have too many items on their menu. They are introducing new items constantly. Just recently they introduced the chicken taquito with a steak option. Remember the thingy with the hard taco inside of the soft taco?

The counter people are confused. They hear someone order a chimmiquitolupa grande and their brain freezes. Is that the one with the hard and soft shell combo? The one with just bean dip spread on a hard shell? The soft wrap dipped in cheese? What is a person to do?

When was the last time you heard a campaign by McDonalds introducing a new item. Burger King? Now, tonight Wendy introduced the Baconimter or Baconsomething. They will run it out there for a while, and if it is a hit then they will keep it otherwise it will fall by the wayside.
Sonic keeps a pretty stable menu. They did introduce flavored tea not too long ago, but Sonic specializes in drinks.

Anyway...

We left Durango the morning of the 5th of July headed through Pagosa Springs, Wolf Creek Pass, Southfork, Creede, and into Lake City. We had reservations at Vickers Ranch.

I first heard of Vickers when I was reading a book in the late 1970's. A guy named Peter Jenkins wrote a book about walking across america called A Walk Across America which chronicled his walk from New York to New Orleans, I think. The next book, A Walk West, took him from New Orleans to the Oregon coast. It was in this book that I heard of Vickers Ranch. Mr. Jenkins stayed there while he was walking through Colorado. I had forgotten about it until I started trying to make reservations in Lake City for this trip. I hit upon it on a website for lodging.

I first came into contact with Lake City when I ventured west by Toyota Tercel, Team Toyota, with David Faltys, a friend from Texas A&M, in the summer of 1986, I think.

Vickers and Lake City. Neither disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home